Hundreds of bands fought for the chance, and after winning one of only 26 places, Count the Days have just gigged
with one of the most famous British boy bands of the last decade. They've been working hard since forming in 2010, and now the three piece pop punk
band from London are doing better than ever. They've just released their first ever music video, 'Feel', and are writing new songs as we speak. I
chatted to James Kinsey, lead singer
and guitarist of the band, about fans, lyrics and the ‘Dougie image.’
Can you tell me a bit
about the band’s past?
We formed a couple of years ago, just as friends from
school. I’m a bit older than the other two and I just wanted to form another
band because my old band split up. Then I met those two and we’ve been
friends ever since and we gelled together pretty well.
How would you describe your musical style to people who've not listened to you before?
We started off playing pop punk, being influenced by like Blink182, Green Day, and also bands like Mcfly. Then we thought we’d do
something a bit different and put some synth and piano and stuff like that in
it. So sort of like rock and pop rock with a bit of an electronic edge.
So how was it
supporting Mcfly?
Yeah, it was amazing! We were lucky enough to support Mcfly
up in Lincoln and it was a really good night actually. The crowd were awesome.
Mcfly were really nice guys, they came up to us backstage and we had a laugh
and they asked us how we got on. I had a cigarette with Dougie and Harry and
we wished them luck as well before they went on stage. They were really nice to
us, yeah, it was good.
Yeah (laughs)
Is that similarity intentional?
Yeah, well he’s been a fan of Mcfly longer than I’ve known
him for, and Dougie’s his hero really, he loves him. He’s not here to defend
himself, but it’s very much intentional I think (laughs) He likes the whole “Dougie
image” thing!
Do you think
supporting Mcfly was good for the band? Has there been a lot of positive
reception after it?
Definitely! It was like a huge explosion for us. I think as
well, our music appeals to Mcfly’s audience, so they’re a good band to support.
I think it was a good fit musically. Obviously we played for 1800 people so
yeah it was good. The hype of the gig dies down pretty rapidly, so you’ve gotta
keep busy and keep people interested, but it was definitely worth doing!
Which band or singer
do you dream of collaborating with?
Ooh, probably Angels and Airwaves or Blink. I’ve been a Tom Delonge fan since I was like 12 years old. Like at least 12 years I’ve loved
that band. Probably Coldplay as well, I’d like do it with Coldplay (laughs) or
Mcfly. I’d love to collaborate with Mcfly!
Some bands and
singers have names for their fans, like Gaga’s Monsters. What would you call
your fans if you could give them a name?
That’s a very good question. I might have to get back to you
on that one! (laughs)…Count the Daylings? (laughs) I dunno...
You said you write your own lyrics. How do you find that?
I write the lyrics myself, and I mostly base it on past
experiences, what I’ve been through. I can’t make anything up. The latest EP is
all about one girl specifically, my ex-girlfriend. It all came really easy to
me, because it was exactly how I was feeling and I just wrote it down. If I
doesn’t mean anything to me then I don’t really enjoy writing it.
Do you think it’s
better if the lyrics are more personal to the singer?
Yeah, definitely. If you make it too personal, obviously people
can’t really relate to it. But if you make it a bit personal, I think everyone
goes through the same things in life. I try and make it relatable as well, so
people can enjoy it.
Are you working on
any new music at the moment?
Literally just yesterday, me and Rob sat down and wrote a
new song and it was really cool actually. We haven’t written anything new in a
while, so we just sort of sat down yesterday and just started working on new
stuff. Hopefully we can get it out for the summer.
Have got any gigs
planned in the future?
Yeah, we’re playing at the O2 Academy on 26th
April with two other bands.
Anything else you'd like to add?
Well, in regards to the Mcfly gig, I’d like to say thanks to
everyone that took an interest afterwards.
For more info and updates on the band, like their Facebook, or follow them on Twitter. Below you can listen to their single 'Cave In', which can be downloaded for free from their Band page. Their other music, as well as covers, can be found on their YouTube.
It was much better than I could’ve hoped for to be honest, cos
I know everyone was there to see Mcfly essentially, but we gained quite a few
fans afterwards and everyone made us welcome so we’d really like to come back
and play for Lincoln again.
For more info and updates on the band, like their Facebook, or follow them on Twitter. Below you can listen to their single 'Cave In', which can be downloaded for free from their Band page. Their other music, as well as covers, can be found on their YouTube.

No comments:
Post a Comment