Monday, 16 April 2012
3hour week EP review
I came across this band almost accidentally when browsing Facebook earlier, and I have to say, I'm impressed.
3hour Week are a four piece indie-pop band currently based in Lincoln consisting of David Gough, Daniel Richardson, Jack Simpson and Ross Simpson.
As soon as their latest song Our Summer began to play, I was completely hooked. It's the powerful mix of guitar and drum in the intro that initially grabbed my attention, and then the vocals started and I was amazed. The chorus isn't that different to something that you might expect to hear from bands like Kings of Leon, but there's also something really fresh and unique about their sound.
The second track from the EP, Steady Heartbeats, is potentially the happiest and brightest of the eight. The intro is really upbeat and has a sort of electronic edge to it that makes it quite soft to the ears and easy to listen to. The vocals on this track remind me slightly of the vaccines, and it's not long before the the chorus, involving the lyrics 'when your heart beats, when your heart beats, steady as your heart beats', will get drummed into your head.
I think Adventure Potential was my favourite track of the EP. It's proper sweet, with a really catchy beat. Out of all the songs, this is the one that'll get stuck in your head. It's just such a happy, loud song and it works. Not to mention how well it's sang. The vocals are so strong and they really drew me in and made me want to hear more. My first thought about this song when the lead vocals started was Scouting For Girls, there's definitely a slight similarity, but 3hour Week are fresher and seem more passionate.
Most albums seem to have a song that grows on you, and that you'll put aside and then begin to love it after a while, wondering why you ignored it for so long. On this EP, I think End Scene fits that description. Not being quite as catchy or as upbeat as some of the others, I had to listen to it a fair few times before I began to like it. It really is a brilliant song and the heavy guitar sounds are amazing on the ears, and if you don't fall in love with it to start with, I can guarantee you will eventually.
3hour Week clearly know how to throw out some good pop/rock tunes, and each one packs a punch in its own way. I highly recommend giving them a listen because they're a highly talented group. The local music since is so strong and rich, and this band is definitely one of the best the Lincoln has to offer! They were kind enough to provide us with their full debut EP, which I've posted a sample of below. The full EP can be listened to on their Soundcloud page, and will be available soon. You can get more info on the band by liking their Facebook, or following them on Twitter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment