Adam Barnes, Aidan Blenkinsopp, James Housley and Simon J Curd make up Some Skeletons, a rock band from Nottingham. Since speaking to me, they've finished working on their new EP and have just been signed to Mountains of Records. With a really fresh and nice on the ears musical style, this four piece band are sure to have a bright future ahead of them. I spoke to Aidan and Simon about how the band formed, what inspires them, and their Italian fan base.
Can you tell me about
the bands past?
Aidan:
We all know each other from Nottingham Uni and from the uni
band scene. Me and Adam have been in the band for a long, long time and Simon
and James kinda joined our old band when a couple of people left and we kinda
just thought it was making everything sound different.
Simon:
Officially it was last January really, we started again as
Some Skeletons, basically.
Where did the band’s
name come from?
Aidan:
It doesn’t mean anything really, we were just trying for a
long time to come up with a name.
I like how many different ways you can think about the name
if you like. We had loads of rubbish ideas and this was one that we thought was
good and that we could all live with.
I think we’ve all been in bands in the past where we’ve
regretted our band names and you feel a little bit embarrassed to tell people
what your band name is.
With some skeletons it's better, just because it’s simple
basically. Keeping it simple is definitely the key and I like it. It’s a simple
description of what out band is if you want to think of it in that way. We are
some skeletons! (laughs)
Aidan:
I really like vague things, so I like the some in there
cause it’s really vague and unhelpful (laughs) I really like that! But yeah,
it’s probably the first band name for a band I’ve been in that I’ve not hated
within five minutes.
How would you
describe your musical style for people that have never listened to you?
Aidan:
Melodic, loud, quiet and busy rock I suppose. I guess we’re
basically alt rock, aren’t we really. The broad spectrum of old. So we’re all
pretty into things like the smashing pumpkins, trail of dead, that kind of
thing. Stuff that’s noisy, melodic, has lots of dynamic to it and is a bit
dramatic. We like stuff that’s trying to sound epic. We try to be clever as
well musically. None of us are experts, but we enjoy playing songs that take a
long time to learn.
Which band or singer
would you dream of collaborating with?
Simon:
Probably someone quite different, I reckon. With
collaborations, I think it’s always good when it’s a juxtaposition.
Aidan:
I’d love to work with some electronic type people, that’d be
wicked. I don’t really have a name, but something quite different and quite
stripped back would be cool cause it would sort of contrast with what we do. I’d love to work with people like Trent Reznor
or Radio Head and just people who have an interesting spin on writing rock
songs really.
Do you write your own
lyrics?
Aidan :
Yeah. I suppose I’ve written the bulk of the lyrics but Adam
wrote one of the songs on the last EP. Sometimes it’s quite collaborative as
well, but the songs on the last EP weren’t that personal. We sort of picked a
situation and wrote about it and there was quite a lot of collaboration on
those.
The song [Author] was actually for a split EP that we did
with another three bands from Nottingham which was designed to celebrate the 50th
anniversary of Yuri Gagarin being the first man to go into space. The lyrics to
that song had to be about something spacey.
But then, on the new EP,
I suppose I wrote most of it, Simon’s written one song, and one song, we
nicked some lines from a couple of Wilfred Owen poems and just kind of bashed
them into shape so they went with what we’d written music wise.
We do often find ourselves in studios or wherever we’re
recording without lyrics so…
It’s always worked for us so far.
Are you working on
any new music at the moment?
Aidan:
Yeah, we’re lucky because we’ve got a couple of friends who
really enjoy recording and record us for free. But it’s very homemade so it
relies on when they’re free and when we’re free. We’ve actually being
recording, sporadically, a new EP since November. We’ve nearly finished, so
today we’ve just being doing some backing vocals in my flat. We’ve got a couple
more backing vocals to do and then it’s gotta be mixed. We’ve recorded six
songs, five of which will probably end up on the EP.
Where would you like
to be as a band in five years from now?
Aidan:
Still a band, I suppose (laughs) If we’re still together we
must have done something right. We just wanna enjoy it really, to be honest.
Simon:
I think we’ve all been in bands long enough to not have the
same idea of success as you do when you first start out. I’m not saying that we
wouldn’t like to play big gigs and tour and things like that but I think we’ve
all gone through the process enough to be quite realistic and know that what we
really want to be doing with this is making music that we enjoy listening back
to and enjoy letting out friends listen to. It’s a lot less about thinking that
having a record contract is the biggest thing in the world. We’re a lot more
clued up in that respect now.
Aidan:
With the last band that we were all in together, we got
signed and it just turned everything into a massive chore. When you first get
into new music and new bands, you do it because you enjoy it and it’s not like
we’re employed to do this so we do it in our free time. We want some skeletons to be fun. There’s a
point where you spend more time in a band organising the band than actually
doing things and we just don’t want it to get to that point again. We want it
to be fun, that’s all I want. Obviously it’d be nice to be recognised, but as
long as it’s fun that’s cool with me.
Has your music ever
been played on the radio?
Aidan:
There’s a couple of local podcasts and radio stations that
we’ve been on. With the last EP we just kind of put it out and people got in
touch with us. So as far as I know, we haven’t been played on the radio.
Simon:
Not radio, but we do hear from our Italian fan base, which
has come from nowhere. We’re on an Italian compilation that’s come out recently
that’s loads of Italian bands and then us which is quite weird…
Have you got any gigs
planned in the future?
Aidan
We will be, but we haven’t planned any yet. We wanna finish
recording out EP. We’re based in Nottingham and we’ve all got jobs so we’ll certainly
be hoping to play around Nottingham and the midlands and anywhere that’s
reachable.
Below is the official music video of their track, Pests.
Below is the official music video of their track, Pests.
For more info on the band, give them a like on Facebook. You can also view their official website, and watch their videos on their Youtube. They're a great and really talented band, and they're bound to do well, so give them a listen and tell me what you think!

No comments:
Post a Comment